There are a variety of ways to attract customers and engage them in an eCommerce business. Most of these techniques are widely used and fairly popular. Channels like E-Mails, SMS, Adverts etc are overpopulated and it does not always yield the expected outcome. This is where Web push notifications come in.
What are web push notifications?
Many of you are already familiar with Push Notifications. Web push notifications are similar to push notifications from a mobile app. But it works without a mobile app! They are small interactive messages sent by a website to a subscriber. They can be sent to anyone who subscribes to the web push notifications.
How do they work?
Just like any channel of communication, The first step is to get the permission to send the notifications.
- When a visitor arrives on your page, a small opt-in request pops up asking to send notifications. As there is no need to provide the user’s E-mail id, web push notifications have very high opt-in rates.
- Once the visitor subscribes, notifications can be sent and can be used to engage the customer, even if the subscriber has left the browser. The CTR of web push notifications is very high as they are short, simple and instantaneous.
Web push notifications can be highly customised according to the content which is to be delivered and the expected need of customer you are trying to engage.This instant communication channel is not yet widely adopted by many. So it is definitely a good time to jump in and get ahead of your competitors.
How to use them?
At first glance, this may feel like a very overwhelming and exhaustive task to be achieved. But it is actually very simple if you follow certain steps very closely.
Let’s divide this process into some key areas and conquer the needs one by one.
1. The message
The sole for reason for sending these notifications is to get the subscriber to click it and re-engage them with your website. It is extremely important to focus on the content of the notification since the message has a comprehensive character limit of 40-120 characters.
A web push notification is highly customizable in both appearance and content.
- Definite and Distinct – The message should contain only the required and precise information and at the same time it should be lucid, interesting and relevant. Tell them straight up what your store offers on some specific products rather than asking them to check out a whole range of products. Well, let’s just say it should be short and sweet!
- Urgency and Credibility – Use simple techniques such as creating a feeling of urgency among the subscribers or make them feel a certain product is currently hot on people’s wish list. While doing so make sure the content provided is credible and is based on facts since the customers wouldn’t want to feel deceived. A satisfied customer will definitely come back for more.
2. Frequency and Time
“Don’t overdo it. Don’t under do it. Do it just on the line.”- Andrew Wyeth.
- One challenge in any marketing method is getting the right frequency. You do not want to simply send a lot of notifications to the extent that the subscriber vexes and unsubscribe.
- Since the web push notifications generally expect a fast reaction from the subscriber, it is important to send notifications at the right time. By understanding the time zone of subscribers and analysing the hours with highest click rates, we can predict the best time to send notifications. Nobody wants to see a notification of a flash sale when snuggling in the bed after a long tiring day.
3. Personalisation and Optimisation
- Personalisation is a substantial part of any marketing method. It is important to deliver content that is relevant to that particular customer or they could opt out at any time. It is important to learn a subscriber’s preferences and also update them dynamically according to their activities. Machine learning and AI can improve personalisation by understanding the 360-degree profile of customers.
- Segmenting the customers based on their behaviours such as cart abandonment, search queries, page visits etc are very effective in narrowing down a large base of customers.
- Notifications can be further optimised to deliver valuable contents by measuring or analysing the results. By strongly focusing on your business goals you can keep track of important metrics such as click rate, conversion rates, etc using analytic tools and you can find out which campaigns are performing well and which are not.
- Nowadays more and more people concerned about personal digital data and privacy. While personalisation is a useful mechanism, it’s important to make sure to protect the user’s privacy and the customer feels the same way.
It’s time for you to start using web push notification for your website too in order to improve customer engagement. We know the most important part of any business is the customer. So listen to them, understand and enhance and elevate your business. We have written another article about web push notification automation strategies for e-commerce here.